Along with the strong growth of the car market, the concept of Sedan, SUV or Coupe ... become familiar. However, the nature and criteria as well as classification of the cars, including sedans, is the concept that not everyone knows.
In essence, sedan has passenger compartment separate from the luggage compartment and engine compartment, usually 4 or 5 seats and 4 doors. Along with the explosion of the media, the concept of sedan car also became wider, and automaker used this concepts as default way of passenger cars to bring comfort and smoothness.
Besides, the development and the mixture in designs from automakers make delimitation not too easy sometimes. Criteria for the classification of sedans in general and in particular segment is quite diverse and vary somewhat depending on the specific market.
But in general, there are five basic criteria to delimit the sedan segment. The criteria include designs, vehicle size, performance, and price on the vehicle. In particular, the performance includes factors such as cylinder capacity, engine power.
Equipments on the car are relative elements, because they depend on the vehicle version of the different markets. However, this factor is mainly used to identify the segment between popular and high-end vehicles, vehicles manufactured by material as well as facilities have significant differences in quality, and especially the price.
With sedans, despite the name and dividing differences between the market like the U.S., UK, Europe or Asia, basically sedans can be divided into 7 categories as follows:
- Compact Sedan (subcompact cars), including vehicles like the Toyota Vios / Yaris, Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Accent, ... Most of these line will include a hatchback - 5 door version.
- Midsize Sedan (compact car) with the typical such as the Ford Focus, Toyota Altis, Kia Forte, Chevrolet Cruze, Honda Civic. Criteria for determining this line is length in the range of 4250 to 4500 mm and engine capacity of 1.4 liters to 2.5 liters
- Midsize luxury sedan (large family car / mid-size car) including cars such as the Ford Mondeo, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata. Criteria of these cars is the car length of about 4,700 to 4,900 mm, depending on the market, usually equipped with 6 cylinder engine capacity of 2.0 liters to 3.5 liters. However, with each particular vehicle may have multiple versions of the engine and equipment options for each different market. As in the U.S., the Toyota Camry has 6 different versions of option price and the level of engine capacity from 2.5 liters to 3.5 liters.
- Large Sedan (full-size car) includes cars suche Toyota Avalon, Ford Crown Victoria, Chrysler 300C. Characteristic of this segment is a length of 4,900 mm and more and usually cars have very large interior compartment.
- Smallsize luxury sedan (compact executive car) include cars like the BMW 3 Series, Audi A4, Mercedes C Class, Lexus IS, Acura TSX. Criteria for these car is the equivalent size to compact car line above but have more powerful engines ranging from 4 to 8 cylinders. Typical equipments on vehicles are leather-wrapped seats, steering wheel. Some safety technology and driver assistance features are also included on the cars of this segment.
- Midsize luxury sedan (executive car / mid-luxury car) includes the BMW 5 Series, Audi A6, Mercedes E Class, Jaguar XF. Characteristics of these models are the length from 4,900 upwards, larger than small size luxury sedan, more powerful engine capacity of 2.5-to 5.0-liters and from 6 to 8 cylinders. Equipments and applications are high-ends. Sitting position on the right of the rear seat is designed to bring the most convenient criteria for sitting.
- Large luxury sedan (full-size luxury car / Grand saloon) includes vehicles such as the BMW 7 Series, Lexus LS, Mercedes S-Class, Audi A8 ... Criteria is over 5m in length, engine from 6 to 12 cylinders and a capacity over 4 liters. Equipments are very expensive materials and highest technologies of the firms are equipped for these cars. In particular, the right seating position of the back row seats are typically designed luxurious and controlable for most of the car, accept driving.